Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My Visit to Farm Sanctuary - Watkins Glen, New York

Just by seeing the signs "Farm Sanctuary - 2 Miles", I felt like I was on my way to Disney World or something.  And rightly so.  For my journey into veganism started April 24th, 2009 (You can check out my blog entry for my story here), http://avoice4animals.blogspot.com/2010/04/becoming-vegan-on-valentines-day-2010.html 
in which I finally woke up to the abuse and torture of the animals we call food.  Since then I have visited as many sanctuaries I could get to.  Catskill Animal Sanctuary, and Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary are the closest ones to where I live in New York.  I have visited them several time and really love the work that they are doing to raise awareness of animals on factory farms.  So when I was given the opportunity to take some time off from work, I knew where I wanted to go.

A 4 hour drive for me, nestled in the rolling hills of the Finger Lakes Region of upstate New York, was a place that is as spiritually healing, and inspiring for those visiting as it is a home for hundreds of animals that, if not rescued, would surely have been on someones dinner plate or coat rack years ago.  Farm Sanctuary!  The original sanctuary for animals.  It was just beautiful.

I walked the farm and just took in the scenery.  Beautiful hills, green grass, trees.  Cows laying in the grass, taking in the sun.  Pigs rooting in the dirt and rolling in the mud to keep cool.  Chickens pecking and scratching at the dirt looking for bugs to eat.  This is what a farm used to look like.  When it comes to animals raised for food, the scene is ANYTHING but what you would imagine on Old MacDonald's Farm that we are all told when we are young.  Only at a Farm Sanctuary can you see these images, the peace and tranquility of animals that have no worries, and it makes my heart melt knowing that these animals were spared a horrible life and death.  Each animal has their own story of rescue and survival, and each one, like human animals, each one has their own personality.


VEGANISM :  "Veganism is a way of living that seeks to exclude, as far as possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing and any other purpose."

As a vegan it is very obvious that with every meal I eat, and every purchase I make, be it clothing, personal care items, or entertainment choices, my thoughts always come back to the animals.  It's not a perfect world, I am not a perfect person, but I try my hardest to do the least bit of harm as I can to these wonderful creatures I share the planet with.

I had a wonderful time in Watkins Glen and can't wait to go back!

Cows staying cool
My favorite farm animal...The goats!
Belly rubs for the pigs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails