Thursday, February 25, 2010

Imprisoned Whale Sends "Another Message" to Sea World

A trainer was killed yesterday by one of the imprisoned Orcas at Sea World in Orlando, Florida. Witnesses say Tilikum, a 12,000 pound, 30 year old Orca pulled the trainer into the water, shook her violently and she drowned. Now, before I go any further, this is a horrible tragedy and my heart goes out to the family of the trainer and all the spectators that had to be witness to this incident. With that said, this could have been avoided. Tilikum is a wild animal pulled from the ocean, taken from his family and forced to live in a tank and used as a money making commodity to perform for thousands of gawking spectators several times a day, all year round. That does not seem like fun to me. There were 2 other deaths linked to Tilikum since his imprisonment and I would be quite sad to think that this is 3 strikes and your out for Tilikum. I'm not sure what will happen to Tilikum, but he was only doing what comes naturally. When will we as humans learn that animals are not put on this earth to be used for human entertainment, or anything else. They are sentient beings and they deserve our respect. I know that if I was yanked from my family, put in a box and told to perform daily against my will, I would be retaliating too.



For the full story, please follow the link. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/gallery/2010/02/24/GA2010022405140.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails